How to Get Rid of Vacation Village Timeshare
Table of Contents
- Vacation Village Timeshare Rescission Period
- Vacation Village Exit versus Resale
- Vacation Village Deedback Program
- Customer Review of Vacation Village Timeshare
- Plausible Class Action Lawsuit Against Vacation Village Timeshare
- The Dangers of High Upfront Payment and Why Escrow is Important
- Benefits of Exiting your Timeshare with Vacation Village
A timeshare resort developer called Vacation Village offers to-stay services in some of the most well-liked vacation spots in the United States, including Orlando, Las Vegas, The Berkshires, and more. Their main office is in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
These locations may be what drew you to Vacation Village. But at this point, you might be thinking about trying to sell or cancel your timeshare. High maintenance fees and trouble booking stays are two common excuses people give for wanting to leave Vacation Village timeshare.
Whatever your motivation, continue reading for guidance and pointers on completely canceling your timeshare.
Vacation Village Timeshare Rescission Period
If you’ve just bought a timeshare, you may be able to get your money back in full if you cancel your contract during the timeshare rescission period allowed by law in your state. The rescission time varies from state to state but is often between 3 and 14 days. Comparing Florida and Nevada, the former takes ten days and the latter only 5. In the paperwork you received from Vacation Village upon signing your timeshare, you should find the information on how to cancel your timeshare during the rescission period.
You will need to look into other exit strategies to cancel Vacation Village timeshare after the rescission period has passed.
Vacation Village Timeshare Exit versus Resale
As you may have heard, you can sell a Vacation Village timeshare on the secondary market. You can try this, but it’s fraught with difficulties. It is so tough to pique anyone’s attention, let alone a customer is the largest roadblock. There are now multiple Vacation Village timeshares listed for sale on eBay, with a starting bid of $1 and no bids.
This proves beyond any reasonable doubt that selling a Vacation Village timeshare is incredibly daunting. If you decide to take this route, be wary of any businesses that try to charge you a fee, especially those paid up ahead. If you want to unload your Vacation Village timeshare, your best bet is to stick to online marketplaces like eBay and Craigslist.
The services of a timeshare exit company are worth looking into if you’d rather not be tied down to your current timeshare. In this case, the exit company acts as a go-between between the resort and you to get your timeshare contract terminated. This strategy is likely to be successful, provided you can choose a reliable timeshare exit provider that does not demand large payments upfront.
Vacation Village Deedback Program
Sometimes, timeshare owners can return their properties to the original developer through a “deedback” or “take back” procedure. It’s best to check with the timeshare’s original developer to see if they’ll buy it back from you before contacting anyone else.
A timeshare exit firm is the next best option if you cannot sell your timeshare and a “deedback” or “take back” program is unavailable. Legal professionals collaborate with Timeshare Exit Companies to help owners get out of undesired timeshare arrangements. The timeshare industry is rife with fraud, so if you’re thinking about making the jump, do detailed research before signing up with any company.
Even if Vacation Village does not have a formal buy-back policy, you should still give them a call. The risk of failing is little if you give it a shot.
Unfortunately, many of the complaints about Vacation Village focus on previous owners who were outraged by the company’s “No Cancellation or Rescheduling of the Vacation” policy.
Customer Review of Vacation Village Timeshare
While researching timeshare owners’ motivations for selling their Vacation Village timeshare, we found several negative reviews on sites like Consumer Affairs and TripAdvisor. There were several serious complaints, and overall ratings ranged from one to three stars. Some excerpts from those reviews are as follows:
- “Don’t fall victim to Vacation Village Resorts timeshare trap. During an outing at a gun show we received free tickets to enter a getaway weekend at Historic Williamsburg. They called us a few days later and said we won, but we only had to listen to a 1-hour presentation. Instead of an hour, they trapped us there for almost the entire day. The sales presentation was more one on one high pressure sales to purchase a timeshare. Our salesman took us on a tour of Williamsburg, and Vacation Village, and explained all the benefits of purchasing the timeshare. Things like, passing the TS to our kids, access to Disney when traveling, hotel discounts around the world. All of this was FALSE.”
- “WARNING: Timeshare scam! The only reason we booked here without much research was because we were meeting a friend and his family whom already booked here. Huge mistake… We had a one bedroom suite with a full kitchen and living room. The rooms were fairly clean but the furnishings were very dated. Staff is pleasant but we didnt feel like there was a lot of staff on the property like you would generally see in and around a hotel… ie: > there is no hotel lobby, there is only a main reception building for check-in/check-out. > the pool did not have an attendant or a lifeguard, no snack bar for snacks or beverages.. no towels… Not a big deal compared to the traumatizing ordeal we had to endure on the last day of our trip – when we planned on taking advantage of the last hours we had remaining in FL. Not going into major details, we were not manipulated or coerced, but we were STRAIGHT UP LIED TO – and got tricked into a timeshare survey where we were driven off-site to view a timeshare. IT’S NOT WORTH IT. Whatever they promise you (specially the free breakfast, which was barely edible) – SAY NO and STAY AWAY! If you must stay here, just do everything you can to AVOID the timeshare survey NO MATTER WHAT THEY PROMISE YOU! I can’t stress enough how it is all lies, and NOT WORTH YOUR TIME!!!”
Plausible Class Action Lawsuit Against Vacation Village Timeshare
- DuBose et al. v. Wyndham Vacation Resort Inc., Case No. 1:20-cv-01118, in the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware. In 2016, plaintiffs in a federal class action suit claimed that Wyndham Vacation Resorts Inc. had misled them into buying timeshares. The plaintiffs in this case claim that Wyndham engaged in deceptive practices by holding excessively extended sales sessions during which relevant information about available resorts, packages, and prices were either withheld or distorted.
- Yeremenko, et al. v. The Berkley Group Inc., case no. CACE-13-028175 was filed on Dec. 31 in the 17th Judicial Circuit Court of Florida in Broward County. Several timeshare owners have filed a lawsuit against The Berkley Group Inc., the developer of their timeshare property, saying that the company and its subsidiaries engaged in unlawful and intrusive consumer collections tactics in violation of state and federal law.
- Leber v. Berkley Group Inc. Case No. Case No. 08-civ 1752 PMP/PAL (D. Nev. May. 12, 2011) MICHAEL LEBER, RICK BRUNTON, THOMAS KELLEY, SONIA NUNEZ, JOHN RANGEL, and…United States District Court, D. Nevada
The Dangers of High Upfront Payment and Why Escrow is Important
It would be best if you did not work with any company that requests payment upfront, as this is strongly discouraged by the timeshare exit companies. There is no guarantee that you will receive a refund if they are unsuccessful, even if they offer one. In addition, it doesn’t ensure that your timeshare exit company does a good job of releasing you from your contract. Instead, we like to recommend finding a trustworthy timeshare exit provider that offers escrow services.
One might wonder what the big deal about Escrow is. The exit company you’re dealing with won’t receive any payment through an escrow service until you’ve transferred ownership of the timeshare. This means they are not looking for money upfront and have more reason to get you out of your resort contract.
Benefits of Exiting your Timeshare with Vacation Village
At first, owning a timeshare may seem like a fantastic idea because it guarantees you and your family a place to stay every year during your vacation. Unfortunately, several things can make this pleasure fade over time. Here are some benefits of canceling a timeshare:
Put An End To All The Extra Charges
The timeshare company has complete discretion over the amount of the liability bill, also known as the special assessment fee. For instance, if a natural disaster hits a resort, you might be expected to contribute to the cost of repairs.
Monthly or annually, they will bill you for annual maintenance. These costs are in addition to the monthly timeshare mortgage payments. You may be subject to hefty interest fees on the loan you used to buy the timeshare. Getting rid of the timeshare means stopping these costly obligations.
Free Form Vacationing
Owners of timeshares often have to take their trips during predetermined times of the year. During the off-season, when local businesses are closed, or if your children cannot be absent from school, these few choices may be less than ideal.
There’s also the possibility that management isn’t doing their job, and the place you’ve chosen to spend your vacation is gradually deteriorating.
Last but not least, after several years of visiting the area, you may have seen everything there is to see, but you still feel compelled to keep putting money into the timeshare
Many have complained that timeshare cancellation services took their money up front but never actually canceled their timeshares. This is why we like to advocate for the use of escrow services by timeshare exit companies.
A neutral third party holds payments made via Escrow until the timeshare agreement is terminated, at which point the money is then transferred to the exit company.
If you’re looking to get rid of Vacation Village timeshare, browse our list of trusted timeshare exit companies, give us a call at 619-354-2362, or submit a contact form or live chat on the right side of the page.
- How Can I Get Out of Vacation Village Timeshare Legally?
Make use of the rescission period and return the timeshare to the resort through a deed back program. Another option is using a timeshare exit company if your rescission period has passed. We like to recommend working with timeshare exit companies that offer escrow payment options.
- Can You Walk Away from a Vacation Village Timeshare?
A timeshare is not something you can abandon. Since you’ll have to keep paying those fees for as long as you own the property, it can be expensive. Walking away can take a big toll on your credit card. Employing a trustworthy timeshare exit company to help you exit Vacation Village timeshare is the best option.
- Can I Give My Vacation Village Timeshare Back to the Resort?
If you’re having trouble selling your timeshare on the secondary market, you may be able to return it to the resort for a refund. The resort may reclaim your unit if you’ve paid off the mortgage and are in good standing as an owner.